Dear Michael;

I am Requesting your help, Redhat 7.3 to connect to the remote windows MS
SQL 7.0
Days and trying to use FreeTDS..

can you help please how to confiure php with sybase as you said?? because it
told me mssql_connect call for undefined function... but actualy i need to
use odbc_connect from linux...

more info:
-I need to connect from Linux box ( www server) and retrieve the data from a
remote MS SQL 7 , that located on the same network..
-please note that their is a CISCO firewall between the two.. and it only
allowed tcp/ip with ports 80, 443 , 1433 for ODBC... ( from windows to
windows I managed, but from LINUX)
-I spent a lot of time trying to use unixODBC with php-odbc ,  iODBC ,
freeTDS .. and whatever I could do, and until now I didn't find a way to
connect.. and I was getting so much errors like unixODBC DSN not found ...
so much painful story..

PLEASE HELP ME COZ I M GOING TO PULL MY HAIR OFF....

"Michael Sims" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:36:42 +0300, you wrote:

>how can i specify the port for the direct connection
>mssql_connect()

I've never had the need to do this, so I cannot verify that this
works, but I believe you can supply a port number in the servername
argument:

mssql_connect('192.168.0.1:1433', 'someuser', 'somepass');

You can also define this in the FreeTDS "interfaces" file, I believe,
but again I'm not sure as I use the default port.

>can u give me some hints regarding the FreeTDS

Read this article, it helped me out immensely when I set it all up:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/alberto20000919.php3

>if i used it then i have to confugure the DSN in liunx am i wrong?

Not sure what you mean here.  If you're referring to a Windows "Data
Source Name" then that is not really relevant on a Linux platform.  If
you have access to port 1433 on the SQL server all you need to do is
to download and install FreeTDS (follow the article above for help,
and when all else fails read the FreeTDS documentation), then rebuild
PHP with the "--with-sybase" option.  After you have done that you can
simply supply an IP address or hostname to the mssql_connect() call.

Give it a shot and if you run into problems I'd be glad to try an
answer any specific questions you may have.