Recently I had a problem with file uploading on a server I use, and the
problem was that the tmp/ directory was not set.  Now that it has been set,
the images do upload, but the file permissions end up being very
restrictive - something like (-rw-------) - so the images obviously do not
show up on the web.  I know I could login and chmod tihs, but since we have
clients upload their own images, it goes without saying that this would be a
major inconvenience.  Our sysadmin, who is relatively clueless, suggested
that I add a php chmod function to my scripts.  I suppose this would work,
but I don't understand why my scripts once worked without this function -
the files uploaded and were web-viewable.  I checked both the target
directory and tmp/ directory, and both are fit for web viewing.

Any ideas as to how I could fix this?

Thanks...