* Thus wrote Kris Reid ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to build a program using PHP to increase the performance of Qmail.
>
> I'm trying to use PHP to send an email qmail-remote which connects directly to the
> recipients mail server.
> If this fails it will then add it to the queue normally so it can retry later.
>
> Here is what I have so far (Note this runs on the command line)
>
> function sendMail($host, $to, $from, $message) {
>
>  $prog = "/var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote $host $from $to";
>  echo "Program = $prog \r\n";
>
>  $handle = popen ($prog, "w");
> // fwrite($handle, $message) ;
>  pclose($handle);
>  }
>
> The problem I have is I don't know how to write the message.
> When you manually run qmail-remote $host $from $to
> You then have to type the message then press control + D
> Just like the standard mail function in UNIX

Actually the mail function usually uses '.' on a line by iteself to
terminate a message.

> How can I type "Message control + D" into the program ?

the '^D' character is the end of file marker on unix. it has the
ordinal value of 0x04 so you can append to your mail message
something like:

$mailmessage .= chr(4);

Curt
--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."