From: "Micheal Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am in the process of hiring someone that needs to have extensive PHP and
> MySQL experience. Does anyone have any suggestions for interview
questions?
> I have no PHP or MySQL experience, and come from a non-technical
background.
> I want the questions to be technical, but I am unsusre as to how specific
> should get with the questionning!

How are you going to grade it, though, if you don't know PHP or MySQL?

I say you should send them to the list and let us grill them!! We'll sort
out the riff-raff.. :)

Seriously, look at their portfolio, call their references, and MAKE them
write code.

TASK: Create a PHP application that will insert names and dates of birth
into a MySQL database.

CONDITIONS: Given the PHP Manual, MySQL Manual, Notepad (or similar text
editor), and database host, user, and password information.

STANDARD: The application will run without errors when complete. The
application will accept a first name, last name, and date of birth (in
DDMMMYY format) through an HTML form and store the information in a MySQL
database. The application will list all current entries in the database in
an HTML table after a new row is inserted.

Things to look for:

1. Do they program for register_globals ON or OFF?
2. Do they check the setting of magic_quote_gpc?
3. Do they include error checking of form data and queries?
4. Is their program open to cross site scripting or SQL injection attacks?
5. Do they use a DATE type column or VARCHAR column for dates?
6. Do they write valid HTML?
7. How many files do they use to accomplish the task?
8. Do they try to add extra "fluff" instead of just accomplishing the task?

Hopefully others will pipe up with their comments, also. :)

---John Holmes...