I haven't heard of persistent connections with MySQL before, and I think
is because PHP can't handle it. PHP will connect to the DB every time it
has to. Are you really that annoyed for that 0.0003 second that it
probably takes your pages to connect to the DB?

What I do to manage just ONE connection request per visitor, is request
a mainfile.php which also declares a function that connects to the DB.
After that is prepared to handle all the queries you want.

HTH,

Cesar Aracena
www.icaam.com.ar

PHP.