do people even look at the manual? or search the php.net website?

http://au2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

"Runtime Configuration
The behaviour of these functions is affected by settings in php.ini.

Here's a short explanation of the configuration directives.

mysql.allow_persistent boolean
Whether to allow persistent connections to MySQL."

so if you installed PHP without modifying the ini file, all your connections should be
persistent

This e-mail, including any attachments to it, may contain confidential and/or personal
information.
If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not copy, distribute, or disclose
it, use or take any action
based on the information contained within it.

Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail of the error and then delete the
original e-mail.

The information contained within this e-mail may be solely the opinion of the sender
and may not necessarily
reflect the position, beliefs or opinions of Salmat on any issue.

This email has been swept for the presence of computer viruses known to Salmat's
anti-virus systems.

For more information, visit our website at  www.salmat.com.au.