thanks all,

If session has to time out  then in that case what shall i do in following
case ?

I have a login page, user logins and starts playing (it is a on line game
site), for each action (he tells something to do), i need to check whether
he is login (i.e session on), if yes, then take all session vars and act
accordingly. So do u mean to say that i need to ask for login again if i do
not find any session? Is it a normal practice to do ?

I always wonder what will happen if the user is half way - running some PHP
script at back which calls another script in turn and session ends in
between? May be this question will be very basic, but i always get confuse.

I know bit of ASP. I remember it is having something like 'On Session End'
event hadler. but  PHP does not have some thing like this ?

Regards,
Manisha

"Evan Nemerson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Comments inline
>
> On Wednesday 08 October 2003 10:23 pm, Chris Shiflett wrote:
> > --- Evan Nemerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Well you can change the default from 30 mins to something larger,
> > > but that has security consequences...
> >
> > I am speaking to myself as much as anyone, but we should all try to
develop
> > the habit of explaining any such "consequences" that we mention. To do
> > otherwise doesn't really educate the many people who read these
> > whether now or in an archive. It only adds to the mystery of certain
topics
> > (such as security).
>
> Well, they _can_ always ask if they don't understand. I agree that it's
best
> to give as much information as possible, but that takes a LOT of time. If
we
> don't assume any prior knowledge, answering anything would be a huge pain.
>
> That being said, I agree that in this case I should have elaborated...
It's
> probably a reach for a lot of list readers.
>
> If you have long sessions, the likelyhood that someone will be able to
steal
> the session ID and imitate the user increases drastically. It's called
> session hijacking, and any google search (or archive search, probably)
will
> yield a wealth of information.
>

> > > Sessions are kind of a hack over HTTP, which is pretty much a
> > > stateless protocol. There's Connection: keep-alive, but not every
> > > browser supports it, and I don't think there's a way to hook into it
> > > from PHP.
> >
> > Well, persistent connections aren't really intended to provide stateful
> > transactions (and they don't).
>
> They most certainly are not, but if they could _theoretically_ be used
that
> way. Practicality, however, forbids it. IMO it's a Bad Idea, but still
worth
> mentioning. Actually, now I'm thinking about writing a POC just to see if
it
> can be done, even in a laboratory setting.
>

> > My favorite example to use is Google, because there are two resources
that
> > make up the front page: the HTML and the logo. With previous versions of
> > HTTP, unless a persistent connection was specifically requested, a
separate
> > TCP connection was established for each transaction. This meant two TCP
> > connections would be created and destroyed just to render Google.
Imagine