I need to read (write comes later) from a config file that we used to handle
manually.

I'm getting lazy, so I'm writing a web interface for this.

What I have does this...
  - open a given file
  - dump entire file into a string
  - explode string into an array at the EOL marker
  - walk down this new array
  - decide if there is anything in current element
  - decide if current line is a comment
  - split line at '=' into 2 variables
  - add new key and value from these variables back into array
  - kill original array element

There must be a better way to do this.

All this seems a bit over kill to me.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

Walter

This is what I have...

<?php

$config = $list . '/home/walter/vmd/config';

// Open the file
$handle = fopen ($config, "r");

// Read entire file into var
$content = fread($handle, filesize($config));

// convert var into array and explode file via line break
$content = split("\r\n", $content);

// close file
fclose($handle);

// Loop through file contents array
foreach ($content as $i => $value)
{
   // If we have any data in this line
   if (! empty ($value))
   {
      // If this line is not a comment
      if ( $value{0} != '#')
      {
         list($a, $b) = split("=", $value);
         $content[$a] = $b;
      }

      // kill original array element
      unset($content[$i]);

// show me what I have
echo '<pre>';
echo print_r($content);
echo '</pre>';

?>

# Sample config file data, just 2 lines from the file...
#
# The "Personal Name" of the list, used in outgoing headers.
# If empty, default is the same as the list's username.
# if explicitly `false', then it is redefined empty.
LIST_NAME="RMT Working Group"

# The address of the list's admin or owner.
# if explicitly `false', then it is redefined empty.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]