Terence wrote:

Since I started using error_reporting(E_ALL), I havent found (in my opinion)
a good way to declare GET and POST variables when getting them from a form
or querystring. I have searched google and the docs for several hours now
without much luck.

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);
// This line stops the error reporting, else I get - Notice: Undefined
index: i in.....
$HTTP_GET_VARS["i"]="";

if ($HTTP_GET_VARS["i"] == "") {
 include("myfile.php");
}
?>

Is there a better way?
I have tried var $i (only for classes I've discovered)
settype($i, "integer")

Thanks in advance.

isset() is your friend.

if(isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['i']) && $HTTP_GET_VARS['i'] == '')
{ include('myfile.php'); }

This will not trigger any warning, even under E_ALL.

Also, even though you have a form element defined, it may not always appear in $HTTP_GET_VARS/$_GET (post, etc). One example are checkboxes. If no boxes are checked, the variable is never created and this is the way to check.

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/

php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com