Ah, man, I just found my problem, and do I ever feel stupid... Thought I'd share it to highlight the "it's right in front of one's nose" feeling:

copy($_FILES['userfile']['tmp_name']...

...was a sample code snippet. I had just copied and pasted it without changing the "userfile" part—and since there was no 'userfile' in my form, it would never have worked. Using my own variable pointer $fld works. Thus:

copy($_FILES[$fld]['tmp_name'].

...works. And that is all.

In any case, thanks for the suggestions.

...Rene