PHP Gurus,
        I have an eregi() function that I'm using to validate emails
that users enter into a form. I pretty much took it directly from the
book "PHP and MySQL Web Development". It looks like this:
(!eregi('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', $email)
        For the most part it's working fine. But recently a user tried
to enter in his email address and it got rejected by this script. After
a little experimentation, it looks like it's the hyphen in the first
part of his address that's causing it to be rejected. His email address
looks like:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        If I remove the hyphen, like so:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Then it passes.
        Looking at my eregi() function, I've included hyphens as a valid
character, and escaped them out with slashes in order that they work
within the square brackets.
        Why would this email be rejected?

--
Cheers!