Dave --

...and then Dave G said...
%
% > 2) Sure enough, you don't allow "+" extensions in yours.
% > Neener neener :-)
%
% Is +  a legal character in emails?

Yep.  IIRC sendmail and postfix use it for their extensions like qmail
uses (by default) a - (but qmail can use whatever you want).  See 1)
again :-)

%
% > 3) You might check out preg_match, which the manual says is
% > often faster than ereg().
%
% Will look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Sure thing!

%
% > 4) To include '-' in a range list, put it last in the range.
%
% So then it would look like this:
% (!eregi('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', $email)
% Is that right?

Yes, except change all

  \.\-

  .-

since escaping isn't necessary.

%
% > 1. Special characters within brackets do not need to be escaped. [.]
% > will match a period.
%
% So then I could make it:
% (!eregi('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', $email)
% Correct?

Almost there.

%
% > 3. I don't think a hyphen is even legal in an email address...
%
% If it wasn't, the user couldn't have emailed me to tell me that he
% wasn't having success in registering on my form. Or could he?

I already poked at him about that.  Look at my address, for instance ;-)

%
% --
% Cheers!
% Dave G
% [EMAIL PROTECTED]

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"