This statement demonstrates a lack of understanding on your part. PHP is
free. Completely free. It costs nothing. Nada, zilch, zero. It is not
owned by any company or induhvidual. There are acknowledged leaders in
the community.

Did a worker from Zend just say that if there is going to be an encoder in it, Zend will draw all of their support from PHP? I think so.

Zend does not control PHP. Zend has just invested a lot in the
technology.

A good investment.

Right now there are
several encoders available from other sources and it is up to each
induhvidual/team/organization to decide a. do we need to encode? and 2.
which encoder do we want to use? Just like you can choose to use MMTurke
or Zend Encoder or another encoder.

I have said a few times that it is not easy enough for shrink wrap software vendors to demand that there should be an outside encoder installed along the product.

What is so hard to understand about this?

Which part exactly?

JS