You can use PEAR's HTTP_Client package (http://pear.php.net/package/HTTP_Client) to connect to a website, do authentication, post forms, handle redirects, etc. It also keeps track of cookies.

Here's a sample (note that the URLs in this will probably not work):

require_once('HTTP/Client.php');
$client = &new HTTP_Client(array('user' => 'username', 'password' => 'password'));
$code = $client->post('http://www.example.com/script.asp',
array('var1' = 'val1',
'VAR2' => 'val2'));
$code = $client->get('http://www.example.com/loginRequired.php');

David T-G wrote:

Hi, all --

My host has written a control panel to handle all site management needs,
and it's great except that there's no back-end hook that I can use to
create a new site or user once I have collected my input and verified my
payment in my own pages.  I obviously don't want to have to do all of the
site creations by hand; that's why we have computers :-)

At this point I could either figure out all of the steps for creating a
site -- there are, to my knowledge so far, DB tables to update, dirs to
make, other files to update, and apache to restart -- or figure out how
to talk to the control panel from a script.  With nearly fifteen years of
SysAdmin background but only a few years of PHP background, I know which
I think is probably easier or at least quicker :-) but I don't want to
miss any little things that their interface does that will bite me in the
tail later.

The control panel requires authentication and a cookie and then a few
clicks to get to the fill-ins, so I imagine that I could just construct
that form and hand it off -- except for the login authentication part.

Which route would y'all take, and (more importantly) which would you
recommend to someone at my capable-but-not-expert level?  Remember that
I'll come back to the list when I get stumped ;-)

TIA & HAND

:-D