"As long as allow_url_fopen is enabled in php.ini, you can use HTTP and FTP
URLs with most of the functions that take a filename as a parameter. In
addition, URLs can be used with the include(), include_once(), require() and
require_once() statements."

http://us4.php.net/manual/en/features.remote-files.php

--
Matt Grimm