There are a lot of words in the spelling checking in Microsoft products
that isn't part of what you'd consider a standard 'dictionary', like
city names and such.

I think for spell checking, using the internal spell check in Word would
be best, but if you ever decided to work on Word<->PHP integration, look
into COM.

I havn't played around with it a lot, but someone at my work doubted I
could use PHP to control Microsoft MapPoint.  I got just far enough to
prove them wrong before getting busy.

$mappoint = new COM("mappoint.application") or die("Unable to
instanciate mappoint");
print "Loaded mappoint, version {$mappoint->Version}\n";

$map = new COM("mappoint.map") or die ("Unable to instanciate map");
$map = $mappoint->NewMap  or die ("Unable to NewMap");
$map->Name = "Test"  or die ("Unable to Name");;
$mappoint->Visible = 1;

You should be able to do similar things with almost all the latest
Microsoft applications, even if they don't have an obvious VBA editor
built in like Access and Excel do.

-TG