Hi Russell,

If you're documenting PHP software, you might consider using phpDocumentor. Your manual would be in DocBook, and phpDocumentor would both transform to HTML/PDF/CHM, and link to the auto-parsed API docs straight from the source. Kind of handy for people who'd rather code than figure out where things have changed :)

Greg
--
phpDocumentor
http://www.phpdoc.org

Russell Seymour wrote:
Good evening list,

I apologise profusely if after reading anyone thinks that is OT, but I
relally need some pointers with a project I am working on.  I have searched
the Internet for information on XML document generation but there is too
much information that I cannot decide which way to go.  Thanks lots in
advance.

I am currently writing a web based application using PHP that created
reports on the fly from a multitude of data sources.

In the beginning only one output format was required, HTML and then PDF was
a requirement.  More and more formats are now required by my users and
rather than create a new output script for each different format I am
thinking about outputting the final report as XML and then putting that
through 'something' to render in the format that I require.

However I am unclear as to the best way to do this as there seems to be many
different ways.  I have looked at using Apache FOP and DocBook, but they all
spawn off in different directions and bringing in other things such as Jade.

This post maybe slightly OT, but if nayone has any pointers on how I amy go
about doing this I would be very very grateful.

Thanks very much.

Russell