JOhn, do you have any other recommendations that you might have looked at
after your experience with OS commerce?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Nichel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 9:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] E-Commerce

Terence wrote:

> all in one awesome package:
>
> www.oscommerce.com

I just got finished building a site for a customer who wanted OSCommerce
(didn't want to pay for a 'real' shopping cart, or for me to build him
one), and in my 8+ years of web development, they have to be one of the
worst in most aspects.

First off, it won't install or run if you have register_globals off.
When I saw this, I said to myself, "this isn't so bad if they're writing
secure code, but it opens up ALL the code on the site."  Then I started
configuring it (hacking it) to fit the customers wants and desires, and
found a few areas where it could be compromised.

Second, the code looks like it was written by someone who originaly had
no intention of releasing this code to the world.  It's sloppy,
unorganized, and poorly (if at all) commented.  Compare the code from an
application like phpMyAdmin to OSCommerce to see what I mean.

The only thing I have positive to say about it, is on it's ease of use
for the end user who wants to run an online store, but doesn't know
diddly about computers.

Until they fix the first issue, I will continue to recommend against
OSCommerce.

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

Disclaimer
This e-mail transmission contains confidential information,
which is the property of the sender.
The information in this e-mail or attachments thereto is
intended for the attention and use only of the addressee.
Should you have received this e-mail in error, please delete
and destroy it and any attachments thereto immediately.
Under no circumstances will the Cape Technikon or the sender
of this e-mail be liable to any party for any direct, indirect,
special or other consequential damages for any use of this e-mail.
For the detailed e-mail disclaimer please refer to
http://www.ctech.ac.za/polic or call +27 (0)21 460 3911