Hello Jason,

>> I feel the book you're learning from might not be the best out there!
>> Especially as it uses the horrible if : else : endif notation,
>> includes code on the same line as the PHP tags themselves

JW> What is horrible about that style? IMO doing this:

Consistency. The majority of code you can download will not use this
notation. Although PHP coding standards are subjective as best, you
still won't find any advocating this technique. Pick a style and stick
to it. It's usually best if that style at least matches something like
the official PHP documentation.

JW> <?php if ($something) : ?>

To me this is a mess and I would never advocate this style. Code on
the same line as a php delimiter does not make for easy reading.

JW> looks a lot neater than:

JW> <?php
JW>   if ($something) {

I wouldn't have done it like that either, although its closer.

<?php
     if ($something)
     {
?>

JW> But whichever style a book chooses to use should not impact on one's decision
JW> as to whether it is a good book or not.

Of course it does, especially when combined with the other factors I
listed. If the book you're learning from doesn't teach good coding
practise - what will? It's not something you're "born" with.

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey