Hi Puiu,
I've been having the same problem too. My code that worked up until recently
just stopped working. I did change from using:
       session_register("user_id");
       if (!(user_id)){ ....

to using:
      session_start();
      if (!$_SESSION['user_id']){ ....

Now it works with my computer Win98 and MS-IE5.5 but not on my client's
computer Win98 and MS-IE6.

I think there's something seriously wrong somewhere (either PHP or MS). I'll
keep you posted if I find a solution.

Pance.

"Puiu Hrenciuc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello,
>
> I am a little desperate right now since I have tried to solve this problem
> for 3-4 days now.
> I have developed a site that uses sessions for user authentication and
data
> storage between page access.
> The development server is Apache1.3.24/MySQL4.1.0/PHP4.3.3/Win XP Pro
> The release server is Apache1.3.27/MySQ3.2.25/PHP4.3.1/Linux 2.4.25
>
> The site is working just fine on the development server, but when
uploading
> on release
> server it keeps losing session data and the users are logged out of their
> account in a
> randomly manner. I can't reproduce the behaviour since it is all randomly,
> for eg.
> the session may expire immediately but it can also last 30-40 min. It does
> not expire
> on same page every time. I have tried to see if it is a browser related
> issue so I have loaded
> the page into IE6, NN7, OPERA7 but the problem persisted. Next step I
> thought that it
> could be a process on the release server that deletes files on /tmp so I
> have changed the
> session_save_path to another dir, same problem. Now I have made some
> functions
> and keep the sessions in a MySQL database. It works fine on the
development
> server,
> but... , BUT... , it has the same behaviour on the release server. Using
> MySQL storage
> I have discovered the PHP changes SIDs randomly ( at least so it seems )
so