Hello,

I have this application which is accessed via a web portal. The first thing my application must do is make sure the visitor is logged in via the portal. The only way to do this is by making a request to a specific URL. This URL (which includes the log in cookie id) will return XML to my application. Once I parse this XML, I will know if visitors are logged in.

Simple enough.

How do I make my application load a URL and trap the returned data so that it never creates any browser output?

My first reaction was header("Location: URL") but then I'd be handing off control to the URL and the output would appear in the browser.....

I've done some research and found system(), exec(), and passthru(). But I'm not sure if these functions are the proper way to do such a task especially since I'm calling a URL and not a specific UNIX command.....

Thanks,
Roger