Chris W. Parker said:
>> I could have put a tag in the template like {bio} but that'd mean
>> maintaining HTML in the PHP code which I wanted to avoid (left the
>> "prettyness" to the Front Page developer).  Instead, I put something
>> like this in the template:
>> {if $level > 2}
>>  {bio}

I should have put
< html for bio or image or hyperlink >

The way I put it there it looks like Smarty template code.

>> {/if}
>
> i've never used smarty* but i think i understand how it works. so my
> question is this...
>
> would it not be better to place that logic in your php code instead of
> your template?
>
> my thinking is this: if {bio} contains anything, it will print to the
> page. if it doesn't contain anything, nothing will be printed. so
> there's no need to check the value of $level within the template since
> {bio} will simply contain something, or it will not.

I could, but bio/image/hyperlink has HTML that I want to leave for my
Front Page developer to be able to tweak.  I want her to make it pretty
and I just want to make it work.  When the PHP code also had HTML her
Front Page was constantly screwing with the code.

And now she can mock up a new website in whatever she wants (Word exported
to HTML for all I care) and I can hook in PHP code very easily.  Together
we can knock out nice-looking sites in far less time.

/dev/idal