Thanks for the suggestions. Between the online manual and the books I have I
think I'll get there eventually. Sometimes my logic just sux. What I needed
to do was have the user fill out a form and if they make changes to the XML
file I would update the file. So, my long way around was to go through the
old XML file and create a string variable for every possible form field.
Then I would compare the /bgClrOld/ to /bgClr/ and if they were different I
would then update the file with an ereg_replace.

After some poking around, this seems to be the way to go. Only if the field
is not empty so I change it

if ($bgClr !=""){
$bgClr="xxxxxx";
}