Hi all,

We just installed PHP 4.3.6 on FreeBSD 5.2.1 on some SMP machines and we are
experiencing some weird problems.

The PHP processes are running as FastCGI under Zeus with these compile

./configure  --with-curl \
--enable-sockets \
--enable-dbx \
--with-jpeg-dir \
--with-jpeg \
--prefix=/webdisk/local/progs/php/compiled/4.3.6 \
--with-imlib \
--with-mysql \
--with-gd \
--enable-fastcgi \
--with-config-file-path=/webdisk/servers/php \
--with-exec-dir=/webdisk/servers/php/exec-dir \
--enable-memory-limit \
--disable-force-cgi-redirect \
--disable-url-fopen-wrapper \
--enable-track-vars \
--enable-xslt \
--with-xslt-sablot \
--enable-inline-optimization \
--disable-debug \
--enable-sockets \
--enable-sysvsem \
--enable-sysvshm \
--with-ttf \
--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/include/freetype2/ \
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/src/lib/libz/ \
--enable-gd-native-ttf \

The database backend is MySQL 4.0.18 and is run on a seperate dedicated
server.

Last night some problems occured - when we queried the databases for simple
queries that _should_ return some rows (and worked minutes before) the
database simply returned 0 rows. A restart og the mysqld and the php
processes solved the problems but they return at random.

I suspect that it is some weird problem with PHP / MySQL / SMP but I have no
clue what can cause the problem. The old servers we used before the upgrade
are all uni processor machines and we haven't experienced any similar
problems on those machines.

The sysctl for FreeBSD is set to: kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1 (used on the old
setup as well)

Is there any issues with the mysql library under PHP that can cause the
problems on the server - eg. not thread safe?

I do hope that any of you have some pointers so I can get over this weird
problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
--
Lasse Laursen · VP, Hosting Technology · NetGroup A/S
St. Kongensgade 40H · DK-1264 Copenhagen K, Denmark

- Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations - BSD is the One True Code