* Thus wrote Lasse Laursen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Hi all,
>
> We just installed PHP 4.3.6 on FreeBSD 5.2.1 on some SMP machines and we are
> experiencing some weird problems.

> The database backend is MySQL 4.0.18 and is run on a seperate dedicated
> server.

What mysqlclient is php linked to?
  php -i | grep "Client API"

I would make sure you're using a 4.x version.

> Last night some problems occured - when we queried the databases for simple
> queries that _should_ return some rows (and worked minutes before) the
> database simply returned 0 rows. A restart og the mysqld and the php
> processes solved the problems but they return at random.

A couple things to check:
  - the output of mysql_error(), it usually solves 90% of query
  problems.

  - if myismchk was ran on the table(s) mysql can get confused
    about the indexes (until the table(s) are flushed)

Curt
--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."