Steve!!!

This is great!

I had no idea you could use arrays in url variables. That makes everything much easier.

Thanks very much

Tim

At 06:26 AM 28/05/2004, Steve Edberg wrote:
At 2:01 AM -0300 5/28/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks for the reply Denis,

Let me elaborate a bit.

I have a php page which I want to pass a series of variables via a url string.

eg

myPage.php?dataPoint1=10&dataPoint2=20&dataPoint3=30

The thing is I won;t know until runtime how many dataPoints there will be so I have also included 1 additional url variable

eg

myPage.php?totalDataPoints=3&dataPoint1=10&dataPoint2=20&dataPoint3=30
From there I want to take those data points and do several things
with each of them. The keep things simple lets say I want to multiply each by 3 and then divide it by 2 and put it into a new variable (under the same naming system).

eg

$xtemp=$HTTP_GET_VARS[totalDataPoints];

do {
A line here which will take each dataPoint and multiply by 3 and divide by 2 and assign it to a new variable with the same numbering system (eg $myNewVar1=$HTTP_GET_VARS[dataPoint1]*3/2;
$xtemp--;
} while ($xtemp>0);

Make any more sense?

Thanks.

Strictly speaking, your original question referred to what PHP calls 'variable variables':

        http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.variable.php

However, most of what you can do with them can be done more simply with arrays. In your example above, use

        myPage.php?dataPoint[]=10&dataPoint[]=20&dataPoint[]=30

and you get an array

        $dataPoint[0]=10
        $dataPoint[1]=20
        $dataPoint[2]=30

The number of data points is count($dataPoint). See

        http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php

for more info on this technique.

        steve edberg