I don't think you can get that information. The packet at the MAC level is encpasulating the IP datagram. When the datagram is passed along to another network (e.g. through a router), another MAC packet is constructed, and the payload (datagram) of the original MAC packet is placed into the new MAC packet. At that point, the original MAC address is lost.

cheers,

Travis

Yngve wrote:
Hi!

I wonder how i can retrive the MAC-address of the visitor using PHP?

What i am thinking about is using the MAC-address instead of the IP-address
to ban troublesome users from forums etc.

If i just use the IP-address some users will just change it. I know that
itīs possibly to spoof the MAC address but itīs much harder than just
changing the IP-address.

Do you think that there is a big speed penalty by using the MAC-address? I
could just use it when the users first arrives to the site. Then he/she
could be logged in using a session the rest of his visit. I could also store
the MAC-address of the user in encoded form in a cookie so that i wonīt have
to retrive the MAC-address "the hard way" on every visit.

Comments and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Yours supersinerely, Yngve

-- Travis Low <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.dawnstar.com>