* Thus wrote John W. Holmes:
> Can anyone explain the purpose of PECL to me besides what it says on the
> web page (http://pecl.php.net)?

PECL provides a way to keep a repository of all the extensions that
are built for php, while keeping the core php clean. So basically
its a code seperation.

> For instance, the XSLT extension has been moved to PECL, but the
> experimental XSL functions are included by default with PHP5. This would
> lead me to favor the XSL functions over the XSLT functions since they
> would be available more. Does this imply one is "better" than the other?

No. if you take, for example, tidy, you'll see that there is a PECL
version and one that comes bundled in your php code.  They are
infact one in the same.

When php is released, it will include a selected few  of the latest
stable PECL modules to include in the bundling of php.

IIRC, the goal is to keep the code base of php to a minimal and
include extensions that are favored (or widely used).

As far as XSLT and XSL, the one is prefered over the other.

> Is this just simply the PHP-dev team wishing to not bundle as much with
> PHP? Can I expect any decent ISP to support enabling an extension listed
> in PECL?

Hopefully ISP's will be able to support enabling extensions. There
has been more publicity towards the promotion toward PECL, and
hopefully it will be known more than it is presently.

The key really is education for the ISP, since this is relativly a
new thing. If we could convince them that a 'pear install peclpackage'
is much easier than a recompile of php with a 1000 character long
configure line :)

Curt
--
First, let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes
you've been hearing about.  No, sir.  Our model is the trapezoid!