How did you install Apache and PHP? PRM or source?
I compile from source for these. You might have httpd.conf that is actually used
by apache may be located some where else.

If you are compile from source and need the same file layout as RedHat,
use --with-layout=RedHat (or like) for Apache's configure.

(How about run 'find / -name httpd.conf'? You might find more than one.)

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki