You have the data in the $_POST global.
So submit it to _self as you already have and
if $_POST['calcentry'] is present and not null then do
your calculation
then set the value of the sencond textarea to the
result.

--- "Hull, Douglas D" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have my two html textarea fields followed by these
> two buttons.

<form
> action="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>" method="post">
        <input type="submit" name="calcentry"
> value="Calc Your Entry" />    <input type="submit"
> name="clearentry" value="Clear Your Entry" />
> </form>
> I have textarea1 to type words into.  I have
> textarea2 for my results.  I have people type words
> in textarea1 and after hitting the "calcentry"
> button I want to reload the same page, go into
> my:

if ($calcentry) {...}

part of my code and do
> some calculations with php and mysql and put my
> output into textarea2.  But after submitting and
> re-loading the page my textarea1 field is empty.  So
> my first question is how do I keep the data in
> textarea1 so when I perform my submit I can do some
> calculations on it etc?  Then how can I place my
> results into textarea2.

So all I want is to type
> words into a textarea field, reload the same page,
> do some calcs on these words, and place the results
> into textarea.  So it amounts to having the exact
> same page but now I have my calculated results in
> the second textarea.  I have all my code for calcs
> etc. and it works fine.

Thanks for any help,
Doug