It appears as though some readers (such as adobe acrobat) can read this file fine yet others (such as the program gv in *NIX) cannot read it.

The reason for this is that somehow a hex 0A is added before the inital %PDF-1.2 which marks the start of the PDF file causing some readers to not recognize it as a PDF file. Is there anything in this code which could possibly (always) cause an extra byte (0A) to be added before the real start of the file? And no, the file is not corrupted (I've already tried that) - this only happens when it goes through this script, and not loaded directly as example.com/file.pdf.

I've seen cases where extra buffer content gets added to the downloaded file. The problem was fixed by deleting any existing buffer before sending the file to the client. Not sure that will solve the problem but it's worth a shot.

Larry