[snip]
I am a fresh PHP programmer and am part of a team developing a LAMP
based
website. The problem we are facing is that when the site was hosted on a

local server, it was quite fast. Now that we have to use the internet to
get
to it, it has become very slow even keeping in mind considerations like
connection speed .

Any pointers on what & how optimizations can be done?
[/snip]

You still need to pay attention to image sizes, the amount of HTML or
XHTML code within pages and such. PHP would not likely be the cause of a
slowdown unless the code is 100's of lines long, which may introduce
some delays.