Grant wrote:

I'm running Gentoo Linux, and emerged (installed)
squirrelmail which automatically installed all of its
dependencies including PHP and (I think) mod_php.  PHP
doesn't seem to be working though, as I always end up
looking at the raw PHP code in a browser.  I do have
apache and apache2 installed on my system, and I
suspect some key PHP things may have been set up for
apache instead of apache2.  Does anyone have any
pointers?

In Gentoo, emerge php just installs the client build, emerge mod_php installs the Apache module.

Therefore, what you need to do is emerge -av mod_php

Also, emerge apache installs Apache2, eventhough you may see apache and apache2 in /etc/

Then edit /etc/conf.d/apache2 and add -D PHP4 to the APACHE2_OPTS variable.

Finally, issue /etc/init.d/apache2 restart