Ya know, you don't even have to go that far.

Now thati know more what you were looking for, after submitting a query
like: SELECT * FROM table

You will get all the data in your table.

In php, you will have a $result to access that array of data
(mysql_fetch_array(), mysql_fetch_row(),mysql_fetch_object() )

Using php, $number_of_records = mysql_num_rows_affected($result);
Will return the number of records retrieved, in this case, the total amount.
Don't need two queries, don't need put the count() function in the query.

There are a lot of pieces of information regarding your query, that can be
returned, without additional queries or extra statements in mysql.

Take aminute to look at the names of ALL the mysql functions in PHP
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php