Hi Rasmus,

El lun, 03-01-2005 a las 14:13 -0500, Rasmus Lerdorf escribió:
> If you need to do something fancier you can stick things in shared
> memory.  Many of the accelerators give you access to their shared memory
> segments.  For example, the CVS version of pecl/apc provides apc_store()
> and apc_fetch() which lets you store PHP datatypes in shared memory
> directly without needing to serialize/unserialize them.

This is great.  In my high performance web app I created a PHP library
that abstracted this to use several backends.  For instance I have a
File backend and a SHM backend that uses the functions provided by the
sysvshm PHP module.  With this functions, do they need to
serialize/unserialize every time I put/get something in/from the cache??

Also I use sysvsem for locking capabilities.  does apc take care of the
locking? does it have an API to do that?

My experience with shared memory have been great.  My production server
uses a segment of 384MB to cache lots of resultsets and PHP objects and
the performance is almost unbeatable... well if it serializes then
pecl/apc will give better performance I guess.

-William