Just so that I don't start working in the wrong direction, do you mean that I can get the same information from the activeX control directly from PHP rather than having to do it with vbscript?

I am not much of a coder so any help porting the vbscript to PHP would be great. The code that I am using to get the information from the activeX control is:
<--
<script type="text/vbscript">
for each tree in NWSess1.ConnectedTrees
anyTree=tree.FullName
anyUser=NWSess1.LoginName(anyTree)
output=output+"Tree:"+anyTree+", userID:"+anyUser+vbcrlf
next
//msgbox output
</script>
-->

I found this code on Novell's site so I didn't make this myself.
In the mean time, I will look at the information that you gave me and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks,
Ashley

Jason Barnett wrote:
Ashley wrote:

Ok, apparently I wasn't clear enough with my explanation due to the

I have a webserver (not on the same computer as the users) that is
hosting an Intranet app.  I want to obtain the username of the current
person logged into the workstation that is connecting to the Intranet.

OK.

From what I have read this is impossible to accomplish from the server
without prompting for a username/password.  I found an activeX control
(called NWSess from Novell) that will provide the currently logged in user.

<sarcasm>Apparently it's not impossible to do this without prompting for
the username / password then eh?</sarcasm>

ActiveX controls are in the COM family.  If you don't know about COM
then you can start by looking here:
http://www.microsoft.com/com/default.mspx

Now... when you find the list of commands / variables that you will need
from the ActiveX container then you can make those calls with PHP.  The
relevant part of the PHP manual is:
http://php.net/manual/en/ref.com.php

P.S. this sounds pretty interesting.  I (and probably others) would
appreciate it if you would post back to the list with a [SOLVED]
response that shows PHP code you used to get this working.

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
STFA | http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&w=2