This is one of the many reasons I've been using Fusebox for the past few
years.  http://www.fusebox.org

It's an open sourced framework that provides you with an interesting way to
do includes, to break your application out into MVC (Model View Controller)
and allows you to provide a better granular security. You then control the
users permissions to a series of circuits and fuses (much like folders and
functions) - rather than to specific code pages.

For my purposes I find it more beneficial to diagram out my UML Use Cases (A
user will do 'x', whereas an administrator will do 'y').  Eventually you
will need a mechanism to store that information - whether it be a MySQL
table or a directory server accessible via LDAP.

I generally try to develop a table for roles (or groups), for users,
permissions.  Assign the permissions to the roles, and assign a user to
role.

I haven't found an "easy" solution per-se, but this is effective for me.

Cheers,
~Stephen March, CIS, BSc