Sam Smith wrote:

I need a new book?

What's up with this filtering thing, "Collation" in phpMyAdmin?

It's defaulting to latin1_swdish_ci. What can I just set it to to forget
about it till I can read up on it?

This is a PHP mailing list, not a phpMyAdmin or MySQL ... (just needed to get that off my chest)

That's the Character Set / Collation for the MySQL client I imagine.

Leave it latin1_swedish_ci , unless you know your database is using UTF-8, or something else. MySQL defaults .to latin1 / latin1_swedish_ci, if you start seeing question marks in data you retrieve from the database, that would be an indication that you're using the wrong character set.

Chris