"Marek Kilimajer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Robert Meyer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Scenario:
>> 1) User is presented a blank form.
>> 2) User fills in form.
>> 3) User submits form.
>> 4) Record is added to database.
>> 5) Back to 1).
>
> Go really back to 1) - use redirect. After the record is added to the
> database, use something like:
> header('Location: http://yourserver.com/form.php');
> exit;

Does this work for all browsers?

>> All is fine to here.
>> 6) User clicks refresh.
>> 7) Another record is added, same data except auto-increment field.
>> How do I prevent these last two steps, or at least prevent a record
>> from being added when refresh is clicked?
>
> You should see a message from your browser that data is being reposted.

I looked for such a message and the only thing I can find is as follows:

1) _SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT'] and _ENV['HTTP_ACCEPT'] and change to "*/*", but I
don't know if that is the case for all browsers, do you know?

2) _SERVER['REDIRECT_UNIQUE_ID'] and _ENV['REDIRECT_UNIQUE_ID'],
_SERVER['REMOTE_PORT'] and _ENV['REMOTE_PORT'], _SERVER['UNIQUE_ID'] and
_ENV['UNIQUE_ID'] change, but I don't think the values are predictable,
especially between browsers.

Do you know of a specific message to look for and is that message the same
for all browsers?