The fingerprint reader may have software that has COM capabilities too.  So
you might be able to use a COM call to the software to get the fingerprint ID
(big huge "password" mentioned) that it generates.

Reading directly from the device would probably  mean writing a custom driver
since even if you can connect directly to the bus, you gotta know what to do
with the data coming in and out of it.

Seeing as it's a Microsoft USB fingerprint reader, there's a halfway decent
chance that the included software (or some similar third party app or plugin)
has COM capabilities.

-TG