Hello Mark,

MS> <?php
MS> session_start();
MS> include("database.php");
?>>

I would recommend setting UTF-8 as the Content-type via PHP itself:
header('Content-type: UTF-8') - do it as one of the first things when
you're ready to output the HTML.

MS> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
MS> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

This may well be a cause of the problem - your HTML doesn't look like
it's XTHML Strict compatible at all, so browsers are going to
re-render it (IE into Quirks mode). I would remove the DocType for now
or fix the mark-up errors.

MS> <?php
MS> if (isset($_REQUEST[product_id])) {
MS>    $product_id = $_REQUEST[product_id];

See the previous reply about why this isn't safe, but also it should
be: $_REQUEST['product_id'] (note the quotes) to avoid PHP scanning
for constants.

MS> for ($i=0; $i<$num; $i++){
MS> echo "<tr align=\"center\"><td>PRODUCT

From a code point of view this is correct. Let's check a few obvious
things: does PHP have the mb extension installed? If so what is the
default character-set in php.ini?

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov