John Nichel wrote:
Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

* Sebastian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :

<snip>

anyway, i think i will be with php4 for a long time to come.

Please tell the list why -- what does PHP4 offer over PHP5 for you? I
honestly want to know, and I'm sure there are others who would be
interested to see why people are not making the switch.

</snip>

I'm (we're) still using PHP4. Mainly because there's been no reason for us to upgrade. ie, we're not doing anything that requires PHP5 (and if there is no feature in PHP6 that we have to have, we won't be upgrading to that either).

my gut feeling is that php4 will remain on most large hosting systems for now,
... that php 5 is for people who enjoy the bleeding edge just a little and what
to play/use
newer functionality... by the time php6 comes out and has stabilized the majors
will be more interested in moving direct to 6 from 4. pyschologically its also
in line with the way the linux kernel is numbered - i.e. 2.x where x is even
indicates a 'truely' stable/production release.

that said php5 is in my mind a great improvement - I really enjoy the new
OO functionality and speed increase bue to object referencing - that said I
have most of my code aimed specifically at php5.

the biggest gain in php6 will be transparent unicode support - that is awesome,
 a really big plus - I'm crap at encoding et al and would really love it if
php could handle all those funny characters without me having to think about it
too much (and without having to using mb_string or iconv) - I run a couple of
multi-lingual
sites - right now I just pray every night that nobody asks me to implement
japanese,
or something, there ;-)