Still learning, so sorry if this sounds really simply noobish.  But as I
understand things currently this should work.  But doesn't.  I've been
looking over tutorials but just don't see whatever the problem is.

I created a simple table with the following fields (in order)
tc_id (auto nmbr)
lname
fname
machine_name
email_addr
problem
date_time_submitted (timestamp)

And I'm trying to run this insert from form input.

                $username="somename";
                $password="somepass";
                $database="somedb";
                $table="sometable";
                mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);
                @mysql_select_db("$database") or die("Unable to Connect to DB");
                $tc_query = "INSERT INTO $tablel VALUES(NULL, $lname, $fname,
$machine_name,
$email_addr, $problem, NULL)";
                $result = mysql_query($tc_query);
                mysql_close();

So what exactly do I seem to be missing here?