Hello,

on 09/13/2005 07:52 PM Ryan A said the following:
I'm a bit curious, so far I have had no need to upgrade my skills or use the
slightly different format /
functions of PHP 5.x.....infact I have not seen all that many hosts actually
having support for it, so I
thought of this little poll :-)

I think this survey already answers your doubts:

http://www.nexen.net/interview/index.php?id=49

It shows there only 3.5% of the polled servers are exposing the use of PHP 5, against the use of PHP 4 in 95% of the servers.

Personally I keep using PHP 4 and do not see the motivation to upgrade. First because, for me, PHP 4 is already a feature complete language for Web development. Second, because I do not have the time nor the patience to chase all the backward incompatibilities of PHP 5 that will break the code of my sites.

Actually I am even scared to try PHP 5 in sites that I have with large code bases because it is very hard to fully test them in development environment.

It is not impossible to test a large site in development environment to find the possible problems, but it would take a lot of time and still many details could escape, so I am not interested to risk and put a site up malfunctioning due to PHP 5 incompatibilities, especially when PHP 4 worked so well for all these years.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/