I hope this is what you were looking for:

$contents = "Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be replaced with A, B, C, D, and E";
$searcharr =  array("1", "2", "3", "4", "5");
$replacearr = array("A", "B", "C", "D", "E");
$newcontents = str_replace($searcharr, $replacearr, $contents);

echo $newcontents;

Numbers A, B, C, D and E will be replaced with A, B, C, D, and E

Good luck!

-TG