Brian --

Sorry if I seem dense.  Your answer (although probably right on target)
leaves me still confused :-)

The example you gave me:

$string = 'aaaa.aaaa';
print(eregi("^([[:alnum:]]+\.[[:alnum:]]+)", $string) ? 'matched' : 'no
match');

Now with your example (above) the following MATCHED (when, I think it
shouldn't have:)

(example 1)
aaaa.a!
aaaa.a#$%
aaaa.a23!%

The following did NOT match.

(example 2)
a!.aaaa
a%!.aaaa
aaaa.!a34

Now when I took your example and added the $ at the end, like so:

print(eregi("^([[:alnum:]]+\.[[:alnum:]]+)$", $string) ? 'matched' : 'no
match');

Everything that MATCHED in example 1 no longer matched, and in-fact, just
everything I wanted to match -- matched -- ie. just letters and numbers.

So... even though I had the [:alnum:] tag in the end -- without the $ at the
end it seems pointless?

So, I guess my (dense) question is -- why?  Why doesn't it just work with
the [:alnum:] tag?  I'm assuming ALNUM stands for Alpha-Numeric *only*?