Don't top-post (on mailing lists, always respond below the other
person's post). Please see below for my reply.

Dwayne Hottinger wrote:

>Thanks Torgny,
>Im a real newby here at php scripting.  What should I put in the (....)?
>Copying the snip into the script complains about that.  This is in a db.php
>which defines how another script should utilize the database.  I could copy the
>db.php into an email for someone to look over.
>
>thanks,
>
>ddh
>

>Quoting Torgny Bjers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

>>Dwayne Hottinger wrote:
>>

>>>I am trying to transfer some databases and php scripts that populate them to

>>>new server.  Server is running Fedora core 4 with mysql 4.x and php 5.0.5.
>>>Original scripts were writen with php 4.x and worked fine.  I get a PHP
>>>

>>Notice:
>>

>>>Undefined variable: return_array when running them on the new server and
>>>

>>the
>>

>>>database doesnt get populated.  Mysql database and mysql user rights seem to
>>>

>>be
>>

>>>correct.  Do I have to rewrite the script for php 5.x or should it work and

>>>need to dig for another problem?  Im quite new to php and dont know quite
>>>

>>which
>>

>>>way to go for help. I hope I have posted this on the right list.
>>>
>>>ddh
>>>

>>Hello Dwayne,
>>
>>This is easy enough, all you need to do is define return_array. I've
>>included an example here, it's mailer code, but, should illustrate what
>>you need to do.
>>
>>function test()
>>{
>>$return_array = null;
>>if (...) {
>>    $return_array = $db->getAll("SELECT * FROM table", DB_FETCHMODE_ASSOC);
>>}
>>return $return_array;
>>}
>>
>>That means, you need to assign or indicate that return_array exists
>>before you use it in something like return or other PHP function. Your
>>php.ini file for PHP 4 could have been more forgiving coming to these
>>notices/warnings.
>>
>>Warm Regards,
>>Torgny Bjers

The (...) was just an illustration if you had an if statement that
didn't fire, then $return_array wouldn't be defined at all. Just put
$return_array = null; in the top of the script somewhere so that it is
defined at all times, that way you don't have to worry about the actual
notice about it not being defined.

You can then also make a simple check to see if it is an array, for
instance:

if (!emtpy($return_array) && is_array($return_array)) {
    /* Code to do something with $return_array */
}

That would be a good idea if you for instance are going to iterate the
items in the array somewhere, if you don't check first, you might
attempt to iterate a variable that doesn't contain an array but null,
then PHP will yell at you for that.

You are welcome to mail the script to me privately and I can take a look
at it for you.

Warm Regards,
Torgny