Hi Bruce!

MySQL and PHP both have extensive built-in date functions that are clearly
documented and extraordinarily easy to use. For the vast majority of
situations, there is no need to manually write any custom date-handling
code. The decision to use MySQL or PHP to manipulate a date for a given
instance depends largely on the particulars of that situation.

For instance, if you want to increment a MySQL date column by one day, it
would likely be better to use the MySQL date functions to do it, because to
use PHP, you have to read the date, manipulate it, then write it back,
whereas if you use a SQL statement, you can do it with one DB call.

See:
http://www.php.net/datetime
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/date-and-time-functions.html

Cheers!