Sadly I thought of doing the same thing only to have my face crapped on by
this extreme lameness:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

"Some types of data can not be serialized thus stored in sessions. It
includes resource variables or objects with circular references (i.e.
objects which passes a reference to itself to another object). "

If you figure out a way, please let me/us know... *sigh*