Erfan Shirazi wrote:
The problem is if I don't specify and encoding even an echo() on the

specify a different encoding if you don't want html entities.

string shows strange chars when I have made a mb_strtoupper() on the string. With HTML-ENTITIES at least it looked ok when you made an echo()

of course it looks ok - the browser is showing you the characters that the
html entities represent.

this string: 'Ó'
...is an html entity.

but when saved in file it looks bad.

time for you to find out (STFW) about html entities and encoding in general

Does anybody now what I can do in order to make the string into capital

try setting your encoding to 'UTF-8' or some such, your mileage may vary.

letters, be able to save it to a file and looking as it should look, that is: Asunción and not ASUNCIÓN?

/Erfan

Jochem Maas wrote:

Erfan Shirazi wrote:

Hi all

I have some problems when I make a string containing the following "Malmö, Asunción" to capital letters and then save it to a file.

I use the following to make it to capital letters:
$msg = mb_strtoupper($msg, "HTML-ENTITIES");

                ^- you are telling mb_strtoupper to
encode your 'funky' chars into html entities.

And this works just fine, everything looks as it should, but when I save it to a file, this is how it looks:
"MALMÖ, ASUNCIÓN

^\ \---------------------- notice the names: 'Ouml' meaning. 'O umlaut'

It seems it has problems with "ó" and "Ö", does anybody know how this

it has no problems AFAICT, the characters you mention have been turned
into html entities... these entities (in the form '&' + xyz + ';') are
shown in the browser as the relevant char.

can be solved? I have tried some different encodings but nothing helps,

the solution is to not convert to html entities, or (if its required) only converting to html entities when you want to output something to the browser

I'm using PHP 4.3.2.

Thx in advance for all help.

/Erfan